Go Back   Your Family Tree Forum > The Your Family Tree Forum > General Chat/Off topic

Old 03-06-2012, 07:57 PM

Default Find your old house or not!!

Not quite as good as Google, but I've had a few successes

See if you have any luck with your old houses

http://www.draftfcb.com/holiday2011/

Not sure if it is an invasion of privacy, however!

Campbell-Lanarkshire,Liverpool
Griffiths-Cheshire,Liverpool
Plumridge-London
Owen-Shropshire,Liverpool,Wrexham
Breese/Breeze-Montgomeryshire,London
Ewers-Essex
Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 AM

That's good, I had a bit of fun checking it out, it appears to use Google pictures from around three or four years ago.

Family= Tipler, Smith, Hensman, Day, Marriott, Capell, Peach, Cox (Northamptonshire) Fryer, Lightwing (Norfolk) Heatley (London and Southampton) Duffin, Sharrier, Shawyer, Cooper, Diaper, Payne, Kitcher, Eldridge, Aldridge, Purcas, Peckham (Hampshire)
Old 03-19-2012, 12:25 PM

Default Google

Try using Google Earth (which this appears to be a poor relation to).
On GE you can zoom right in to street level and virtually 'walk the street'.
Be careful, though, the addresses shown by GE are not always 100% accurate so unless you know the location you may not be looking at the house you think you are!
The pictures seem to be several years old, and I'm not sure what Google's refreshment timetable is.
You can also use this to track any family who have emigrated. I've been looking at family locations in the US - and find it interesting that many have settled in 'cities' with as many as 740 residents!

As far as privacy goes, I know Google had some interesting feedback when they started the Google Earth project, but as the photos are all taken from the public roads and footpaths there should be no problems. There isn't an overall 'right to privacy' in the UK as the recent spate of injunctions testifies
Old 03-29-2012, 07:35 PM

A bit of fun and although the pics appear slightly out of date for my home, as each request results in a donation to a homeless charity by the site owners, that in itself is worth looking up a few places isn't it?

Genealogy - Chasing your own tale!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:22 AM

i have been keeping in track with our old houses ever since because every time we transfer from one house to another it would not be very far from the old one so sometimes on days that i feel like reminiscing i really make it a point o drive by our old house. even though i see a lot of changes i still see it as the same house where i have loads of childhood memories from and it brings back a lot of good memories
Old 04-13-2012, 10:10 AM

I have managed to obtain current photos of two of the houses I lived in as a child - a million years ago :-) I lived in one during WWII and the other in the early 1950's and neither has changed apart from double glazing and in one case a garage and new garden fence :-) The house I was born in was destroyed by bombing in 1940, which also killed an aunt and her three children who lived a few doors away :-(
TANKARD - Liverpool
VAUGHAN - Liverpool
I haven't lost my mind...it's backed up on disc somewhere :-)
Our greatest responsibility is to be good ancestors. Jonas Salk (Polio vaccine)
Old 04-28-2012, 02:35 AM

thats so fun! I can tell you the current image for my house is from 2009 :-) just snooped on my cousins place in UK hahahah