Go Back   Your Family Tree Forum > The Your Family Tree Forum > Discussion about the magazine

Old 03-23-2012, 09:44 PM

Re names, I have one called

Martha Elizabeth Jubilee Forster born 1875, so using what FHA says you can work out how she got this name.

JR

cul sith beag na daile
Old 03-24-2012, 10:35 AM

It just goes to show that one should read carefully what one reads in Wikipedia, it states Florence Nightingale inspired use of the name in English-speaking countries.

Florence Nightingale was born in 1820 and the name Florence was in use a long, long time before she was born. Her exploits may have encouraged other people to use the name but all Florence's did not stem from her.

I rather like the Queenie names, my wife had an aunt who was baptised Queenie Victoria and I have come across others with the names of other Queens.

Also I have come across a female ancestor (1560's) whose Christian name was Marke. When I saw this in the parish marriages register I thought there might have been an error, but later on a granddaughter was baptised also as Marke, so I assume this must have been a family surname that was also used as a Christian name within this family.

Family= Tipler, Smith, Hensman, Day, Marriott, Capell, Peach, Cox (Northamptonshire) Fryer, Lightwing (Norfolk) Heatley (London and Southampton) Duffin, Sharrier, Shawyer, Cooper, Diaper, Payne, Kitcher, Eldridge, Aldridge, Purcas, Peckham (Hampshire)
Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Administrator

But wikipedia also states this: Florence is an English, Italian or French given name for girls. It is derived from the Latin verb floreo, meaning "I flower",

Cheers, FHA

Old 03-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Community Editor

Thanks for all your input everyone.

I'm sorry you were disappointed by the issue Ivorex - I think on the Florence issue the writer meant that the name's popularity stemmed from Florence Nightingale, rather than that she was the first ever Florence. Did you look at the downloads extract on Victorian forename conventions? Hopefully that was of interest if this area if something you enjoy reading about.

What about suggestions for what you'd like to see in future issues?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:25 AM

Hello Annabel,
Well, having spouted on about what I am not interested in, I suppose it is only fair to say something about what I am interested in.
I would like to see a really in depth article about the commonwealth gap and the civil war, I am not so much interested in the actual battles but more so the people who fought and died in those battles, I can fairly easily find whether my ancestors were Catholics, Protestants or Non conformists, but I can see no way to determine if they were Royalists or Parliamentarians, although having said that I might just take a look for children of the period named Charles or Oliver. Were there lists for oath of allegiance taken in towns and villages.?

I would like to know if there are any lists of serving soldiers names, from either side, and if there are any name lists for deaths in battle etc. (other than nobility)

I found this site very useful, although it does contain some errors;

http://www.family-history-research.o...ealth-gap.html

Also I am interested in the Plague, and deaths thereof, throughout the different paces and times that it occurred, I know that bills of mortality were kept in London in 1665 but did any of those bills contain names or they just numbers, and were those bills of mortality made in other towns such as Peterborough or Southampton. We have probably all lost ancestors to the plague but are there ways that we can identify them.

So, although my main interests now are pre 1837, I have found the 1911 census of great interest in the information it gives about number of children born in the present marriage along with the number still living and those who have died. This has had me on the search for the children that had been born and died between the 1891, 1901, 1911 census, and were thus not showing up.

I have had a good success rate on this task without the need to take out a second mortgage to buy Birth/Death certificates, and it is really nice to be able to put a name to those lost souls.

Family= Tipler, Smith, Hensman, Day, Marriott, Capell, Peach, Cox (Northamptonshire) Fryer, Lightwing (Norfolk) Heatley (London and Southampton) Duffin, Sharrier, Shawyer, Cooper, Diaper, Payne, Kitcher, Eldridge, Aldridge, Purcas, Peckham (Hampshire)
Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Community Editor

THanks Ivorex, we'll certainly look into covering those things - I'm particularly interested in the civil war idea...
We did do a big feature on the bubonic plague in YFT111 (January 2012 issue) so probably won't be focusing on that again for at least a little while - if you have a specific query though you can always send us in a question for our expert Q+A.

Thanks again - anyone else have anything they're particularly interested in?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Yes, I have a convicted Swing Rioter in my tree who was once a Parish Clerk! I'd like to hear more background information to those times. My relative was born 1803 yet could read and write (how did that happen)? Did the church take an interest in him? What was education like before the education act?

I'd also like to hear more about the Crimean War. Had relative in Coldstream Guards who won a DSM at Battle of Inkerman.

I'd also like to hear about typical wages and living conditions for an ag lab living in an English village.

Cheers, FHA

Old 04-02-2012, 11:07 PM

As everyone knows in my family, I have to be pulled kicked and screaming into the tech age. No smart phone, facebook, twitter, skype etc for me.

Having said that, I really enjoyed the Apps article in issue 115. I was given, much to my surprise, a Blackberry Playbook for Christmas which I use mainly for podcasts. I can see that that maybe in the future, I might want to download an App or two for family research. Certainly the Billion Graves Project sounded worthwhile doing.

I also enjoyed the Salvation army article. I was born in the Clacton Salvation Army Mother's hospital, and always wondered why there ? My mother was a die hard Methodist and my father High Anglican. Now that I know it was a NHS hospital, it all makes sense. It was the closest hospital to them.

As usual, the magazine was excellent. Keep up the good work !

bcbrit
Old 04-04-2012, 11:13 AM

Just another item on "Florence"; my Harrap Book of Boys' & Girls ' Names says that the name appeared in Medieval times & was used for both sexes. It comes from the Latin Florens, meaning flowering. As a boys' name it had largely died out by the 16th Cent. except in Ireland, and as a girls' name it became somewhat rare. As previously stated, the popularity of the name was revived because of Florence Nightingale, however she was so named because it was the city of her birth. Her sister was named Parthenope (a mouthful!) because itwas the Greek name of her birthplace, Naples.
Hope this settles the arguments!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyHistoryAddict View Post
But wikipedia also states this: Florence is an English, Italian or French given name for girls. It is derived from the Latin verb floreo, meaning "I flower",

Cheers, FHA
I do not know anyone personally with this name but I think it is beautiful. I am generally of the opinion that all names relating to flowers are beautiful. For example Lilly, Rose... I love those names because they are as beautiful as the flower itself. My favorite plant is definitely an orchid and due to this I love to order orchids from Serenata. I am not sure if there is a name for a orchid which also can be used as name for a child. I think I will check this.