Go Back   Your Family Tree Forum > The Your Family Tree Forum > Q&A

Old 04-03-2012, 02:32 PM

Default Where buried?

My ancestor Elizabeth PALLETT died at 14 James Street, Notting Hill, Middlesex on the 15th August 1871, where would she have been buried? please.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM

HI Molly,

I don't know if this wiil help you -

http://homepages.gold.ac.uk/genuki/LDN/#Cemeteries

www.deceasedonline.com

www.ukburials.com

I looked on ancestry to see if there was a burial record for her, but couldn't find one.

Find My Past has burial records too, but I don't have a sub for them.

bcbrit
Old 04-05-2012, 03:18 AM

Hi Molly,
I checked the burials at FindmyPast but no luck finding Elizabeth

Hopefully you'll be able to find her burial.

Cheers
Julieb
Old 04-10-2012, 12:16 PM

Hi Molly,

I'm afraid that you will probably have a task on your hands. I have had a look on Find-A-Grave.com and can find nothing there either.

London burials tend to be particularly illusive. I would start with the major Victorian cemeteries to the west of London but any London cemetery may be the final resting place - some were quite exclusive and so if Elizabeth's family were poor it would rule them out. I have many ancestors currently lost in London cemeteries and I suspect that most of them will remain lost.

Another possibility is that she was buried outside of London if she and her family came from elsewhere - not particularly common for this to happen but also worth keeping in mind.

Good luck.

Mike.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:00 PM

Thank you Mike, Julieb and bcbrit for your replies, being poor she may well have disappeared forever, I live in hope that one day her burial may turn up.
Best wishes,
Molly
Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 PM

Molly

If the person you are looking for was poor, she may well have been buried in a pauper's grave which means there may well be no record kept of her burial. The first one I discovered was my great-aunt who had died in the workhouse. I made enquiries about relocating her in a family grave but this could not be done as it would have meant disturbing all the other bodies in the grave. Sad, isn't it?

Anne L
WILLIAMS (Denbighshire/Lancs); BEDDOW (Shropshire/Cheshire); WRIGHT (Lancs); HARRIS (Lancs); PALMER (Norfolk); EDGECUMBE (Glos/Shropshire); HIGHAM (Lancs). NEALE (Derbyshire) Oh, and last but not least! SMITH (Culceth, Warrington)