Go Back   Your Family Tree Forum > The Your Family Tree Forum > Q&A

Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 AM

Default Albert Toyer 1869-1945

Morning all,

A bit of help with this would be amazing if anyone can. I have my great great grandfather Albert Toyer married to Elizabeth Jane Odell but on the 1901 census the children are all showing as Odell and not Toyer. I've found one of the children Jenney Odell on the 1891 census as a grandaughter of Emma Odell and there is also Elizabeth Odell who is showing as single.
I'm not sure how to find out more. My theories at the moment are that Jenney is Elizabeth's illegitimate daughter or that Emma Odell had another daughter and perhaps Elizabeth took on her children. The other children all change surnames to Toyer on the next census apart from Florence Annie Odell and Jenney/Jennie Odell.

I can't find details of a sister though on any census, it seems as though Elizabeth was an only child.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 AM

Hi,

It seems that both Jennie and Florence were born before Albert and Elizabeth's marriage
and they are registered as Odell. The children born after the marriage are registered as
Toyer. I would think the first two are illeg. daughters of Elizabeth Jane Odell but a
certificate would confirm that. As for them all being named as Odell on the 1901 census
I wouldn't be surprised if it's not simply a mistake on the part of the enumerator.

Here is the Reg . for Florence :

Florence Annie ODELL J-M 1893 Luton, Beds 3b 424

Christine
Portsea & Deptford ), Blyvers ,Cuttress /Cutress
Old 04-17-2012, 10:23 AM

Hi there,
Elizabeth did have 2 sisters Emily 5.7.1863 -1867
Flora May 2.6.1867 but she married Dec 1885 Biggleswade 3b 745 a Joseph William Hills .
I'm afraid you may have to bite the bullet and accept that hey weren't married for tthe first 2 children.The 1911 census says they had been married 14 years and had 7 children.
Ciderdrinker