Go Back   Your Family Tree Forum > The Your Family Tree Forum > Seeking & Look-ups

Old 04-27-2012, 08:10 PM

Default Missing relatives

I have traced my 3xgreat grandfather Humphrey Millington back his birth in 1808 in Nottingham England. No forename for his father, a forename but no surname for his mother. Have tried various avenues without success. Would be grateful for any suggestions about tracing these people
Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 AM

Hello there,
I assume you've traced his birth via the parish records.Have you looked through them for possible brothers and sisters?Their entried could have the father's christian name included.Obviously if Millington is a common surname in the area,there is no guarantee that it is the same couple but you may be able to work out that there is only one couple in the parish at the time.
Otherwise search for a will for Mr Millington senior naming his Humphrey.Tythe maps and local rent rolls might give the father being replaced by his son Humphrey and supplying a name.Are there any local lists of householders for Nottingham,church censuses etc?

Ciderdrinker
Old 04-28-2012, 03:09 PM

Are you certain his first name was Humphrey? There is a James Humphrey Millington baptised on 20 Jul 1807 at Nottingham, St Mary (mother Jane no surname father Millington no first name).

I have searched other entries for mother Jane but cannot find any other baptisms. Neither can I find any Nottinghamshire marriages for a Jane marrying a Millington within a reasonable timeframe.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:23 PM

Hi Ciderdrinker and John, have been to the Nottingham Archives but some of the transcribed microfiche files are very difficult to read from the time period in question. I have the marriage certificate for Humphrey(3xggrandfather) and Faith Beck and there is no James in front of his name.
Baptism records for Nottingham are a bit scant for the period also it is possible though he was born in St Mary's and married there in 1828, the family could have been from another Parish.
Have been checking the Phillimore Registers and have found about twenty other Millingtons all I have to do now is make the connections.
So far none have a female Millington with the first name of Jane, except one from 1672 who married a John Greene and that is too early.
Thanks for your suggestions and help.
Neil